Thanks for the replies everyone.

Yup. I know I can set my tty settings via PTERM.  I really should have worded
my question differently:

"What causes my system to switch tty settings simply by logging from the UV
account to my development account?"

I'm old enough to remember that break is a condition not an actual character.
Uhhh... just *barely* old enough.  :)  I actually wrote a Wyse 50 emulator and
modem dialer a long time ago.  Did it in x86 assembly language too for some
reason.  (Grandpa - what's a "modem"? )

Anyway - Here's a screen dump of the settings and the change.  It starts by
changing to my development account, showing the settings, logto the UV account
and show the settings, then doing LOGTO back to my dev account and showing the
settings there.

There's nothing in the LOGIN paragraph that appears to be altering the
settings.  I'm using KDE Konsole as the emulator which sends a term type of
"xterm".

rlittle@mustang:/usr/uvuser$ uv
UniVerse Command Language 11.1
Copyright Rocket Software, Inc. 1985-2011. All rights reserved.
uvuser logged on: Mon Apr 30 06:15:34 2012

:PTERM DISPLAY
MODE            EMULATE
CC              INTR    = ^C  QUIT    = ^\  SUSP    = OFF DSUSP   = OFF SWITCH
= OFF ERASE   = DEL
                WERASE  = OFF KILL    = ^U  LNEXT   = OFF REPRINT = OFF EOF
= ^D  EOL     = ^@
                EOL2    = ^@  FLUSH   = OFF START   = ^Q  STOP    = ^S  LCONT
= ^_  FMC     = ^^
                VMC     = ^]  SMC     = ^\  TMC     = ^T  SQLNULL = ^N
INPUTCTL        ON
CARRIER         RECEIVE -HANGUP -LOCAL
CASE            -UCIN -UCOUT -XCASE -INVERT
CRMODE          -INLCR -IGNCR ICRNL ONLCR -OCRNL -ONOCR -ONLRET -CRONLY
DELAY           BS0 CR0 FF0 LF0 VT0 TAB0 -FILL
ECHO            ECHO ERASE=BSB KILL=LF CTRL -LF
HANDSHAKE       XON -ANY TANDEM -DTR
OUTPUT          POST -TILDE -BG CS -EXPAND
PROTOCOL        LINE=0 BAUD=38400 DATA=8 STOP=1 NONE DISABLE -STRIP
SIGNALS         ENABLE FLUSH BREAK=NULL
:SH
rlittle@mustang:/usr/uvuser$ stty -a
speed 38400 baud; rows 38; columns 109; line = 0;
intr = ^C; quit = ^\; erase = ^?; kill = ^U; eof = ^D; eol = <undef>; eol2 =
<undef>; swtch = <undef>;
start = ^Q; stop = ^S; susp = ^Z; rprnt = ^R; werase = ^W; lnext = ^V; flush =
^O; min = 1; time = 0;
-parenb -parodd cs8 -hupcl -cstopb cread -clocal -crtscts
-ignbrk -brkint -ignpar -parmrk -inpck -istrip -inlcr -igncr icrnl ixon ixoff
-iuclc -ixany -imaxbel -iutf8
opost -olcuc -ocrnl onlcr -onocr -onlret -ofill -ofdel nl0 cr0 tab0 bs0 vt0 ff0
isig icanon iexten echo echoe echok -echonl -noflsh -xcase -tostop -echoprt
echoctl echoke
rlittle@mustang:/usr/uvuser$ exit
:LOGTO UV
                        UniVerse System Administration
 Package    Accounts   Recovery   Spooler    sh Mem     Import     Devices

rlittle@mustang:/usr/uv$ stty -a
speed 38400 baud; rows 38; columns 109; line = 0;
intr = ^C; quit = ^\; erase = ^?; kill = ^U; eof = ^D; eol = <undef>; eol2 =
<undef>; swtch = <undef>;
start = ^Q; stop = ^S; susp = ^Z; rprnt = ^R; werase = ^W; lnext = ^V; flush =
^O; min = 1; time = 0;
-parenb -parodd cs8 -hupcl -cstopb cread -clocal -crtscts
-ignbrk -brkint -ignpar -parmrk -inpck -istrip -inlcr -igncr icrnl ixon ixoff
-iuclc -ixany -imaxbel -iutf8
opost -olcuc -ocrnl onlcr -onocr -onlret -ofill -ofdel nl0 cr0 tab0 bs0 vt0 ff0
isig icanon iexten echo echoe echok -echonl -noflsh -xcase -tostop -echoprt
echoctl echoke
rlittle@mustang:/usr/uv$ exit
:LOGTO UVUSER

--########-----------##-------------#####----##-----##----#######----########--
--##-----##--------##--##----------##--------##----##-----##------------##-----
--##------##------##----##--------##---------##---##------##------------##-----
--##-----##------##------##------##----------##--##-------##------------##-----
--########------##--------##----##-----------####---------#####---------##-----
--##--##---------##------##------##----------##-##--------##------------##-----
--##---##---------##----##--------##---------##--##-------##------------##-----
--##----##---------##--##----------##--------##---##------##------------##-----
--##-----##----------##-------------#####----##----##-----#######-------##-----
     S         O         F         T         W         A         R        E
                      \251 Rocket Software, Inc. 1985-2011.
                        -- All rights reserved.

:PTERM DISPLAY
MODE            EMULATE
CC              INTR    = DEL QUIT    = ^\  SUSP    = ^Z  DSUSP   = OFF SWITCH
= OFF ERASE   = ^H
                WERASE  = ^W  KILL    = ^X  LNEXT   = ^V  REPRINT = ^R  EOF
= ^D  EOL     = OFF
                EOL2    = ^@  FLUSH   = ^O  START   = ^Q  STOP    = ^S  LCONT
= ^_  FMC     = ^^
                VMC     = ^]  SMC     = ^\  TMC     = ^T  SQLNULL = ^N
INPUTCTL        ON
CARRIER         RECEIVE -HANGUP -LOCAL
CASE            -UCIN -UCOUT -XCASE -INVERT
CRMODE          -INLCR -IGNCR ICRNL ONLCR -OCRNL -ONOCR -ONLRET -CRONLY
DELAY           BS0 CR0 FF0 LF0 VT0 TAB0 -FILL
ECHO            ECHO ERASE=BSB KILL=BS CTRL -LF
[...]
:

bob little
independent contractor
market america, inc.