I concur. I have several pack/ship automation lines with PS90's running on the "PS One" serial servers set to server mode. I can only help with theory on the code since it's on D3. I wrote a live network scale input prompt that polls the scale for weight changes and displays the changes while waiting for a keystroke. I can only share pseudo code but I'll help where I can.

On 5/4/2012 9:36 AM, George Gallen wrote:
We have used this device:
http://www.digi.com/products/serialservers/digionesp#overview
http://ftp1.digi.com/support/documentation/92000326_D.pdf

It's been in use now for about 6 years - no problems - but I don't read from
it, only write to it for
A serial printer (our version has an lpd protocol built in).

George

-----Original Message-----
From: u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org
[mailto:u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org] On Behalf Of George Hammerle
Sent: Friday, May 04, 2012 7:54 AM
To: u2-users@listserver.u2ug.org
Subject: [U2] Serial to Ethernet device from Mettler Scale to Unidata/Universe

Hello,

         Has anyone used a "Serial to Ethernet" Device between a Mettler Scale ( PS60 ) and their Unidata / Universe System? We
are running Unidata on a Unix machine. What I would like to do is network a scale in our receiving department. The "Serial to
Ethernet" device would be set up as a server. The Unidata Unix machine would connect via a socket to the "Serial to
Ethernet" device, pass "W*" to the Mettler Scale ( "give me the weight" ), the scale would then pass back the
weight through the "Serial to Ethernet" device.

If someone has done this and can provide any feedback, that would be
spectacular. And if you know of a serial to Ethernet device that works well,
please let me know.

             George Hammerle
             zhammerle@hubertREMOVE_THIS.com

solely for the use of the individual or company to whom they are addressed. If
you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and
delete this e-mail including all attachments from your system. Thank you

Glen Batchelor
IT Director/CIO/CTO
All-Spec Industries
 phone: (910) 332-0424
   fax: (910) 763-5664
E-mail: webmas...@all-spec.com
   Web: http://www.all-spec.com
Mobile: http://m.all-spec.com
  Blog: http://blog.all-spec.com

24-hour Automated Voice Response. Get order status and tracking information
24-hours a day from any touch-tone phone. Call now: 877.404.6165 [910.550.2220]
(you will need your 6-digit order# and the ship-to postal code of that order)

D U Txt? Get order and tracking info via SMS/Text.
Add your mobile# to MyAccount to activate. Text your 6-digit order# to 910.550.2220
to get order status. Text track,<space>  and your 6-digit order# to
910.550.2220 for latest tracking info.