> Out of curiosity, how many people avoid VAR"anything"

It's certainly one of the things that used to trip up students when I used
to teach UniVerse. There was always at least one instance in any class when
someone would hit it and wonder why their program compiled and was operating
in the way that it did, simply because they had forgotten to type an
operator: so on the one hand, being used to it, I've grown to like it - but
it is confusing, especially as there is no equivalent null operator that I
can think of in any other language.

So a $OPTION to turn it off would get my vote.

As would a $OPTION EXPLICIT and a $OPTION CASE.INSENSITIVE.

Having the ability to create variables without declaring them is great, but
I had a brilliant programmer once who just couldn't type .. so in the end I
wrote a routine to code check and warn for variable and case transpositions
like CustList to Custlist..

Adding $OPTIONS specifically to strengthen code would be a good thing, and
shouldn't raise any objections as they would only *be* options.

Brian