Personally I've never used the "X" type record.  I suppose they could be used
for things like a "NEXT" counter.  That way any automated routines can avoid
the "X" entries when building a Dictionary Table.

-----Original Message-----
From: Martin Phillips <martinphill...@ladybridge.com>
To: 'U2 Users List' <u2-users@listserver.u2ug.org>
Sent: Wed, Jun 20, 2012 10:18 am
Subject: Re: [U2] Regarding: Unidata dictionaries

Hi Satya,
In summary,
 D type records define data fields
 V type records define calculated items
 PH type records are phrases that
    a) provide short forms for other items
    b) define elements of an association
    c) define the default set of fields to be shown in a report
 X type records store miscellaneous items.
To describe these fully would take a lot of explanation. You can find details
in
he manuals. Better still, enrol for a training
ourse.

artin Phillips
adybridge Systems Ltd
7b Coldstream Lane, Hardingstone, Northampton NN4 6DB, England
44 (0)1604-709200