From: u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org
[mailto:u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org] On Behalf Of Wols Lists
Sent: Thursday, June 21, 2012 11:29 AM
To: u2-users@listserver.u2ug.org
Subject: Re: [U2] UV Unix File Recovery

On 21/06/12 15:59, Bill Brutzman wrote:
> Wol:
>
> Thanks.  One trouble with using FileZilla is having to remember to check that
> pesky option for ASCII vs binary.
>
> It appears I need a new and improved backup and recovery scheme.  I like the
> Linux box idea.
>
> --Bill

I've thought a little bit more about my idea ...

First, rsync to get a clean backup.

Then run a script over the backup to create a dated backup, use ln so
it's the same file in both the live and dated backup - saves disk space.

Then your daily backup consists of rsync'ing the master backup directory
- you need to tell rsync to delete and recreate rather than modify any
changed files.

Then rerun your ln script to create a new dated backup.

Hey Presto - unchanged files don't take up space with multiple copies,
you have a complete backup history going back however long you like, and
if you have to you can free space by deleting old backups.

The other thing on your backup system - consider using snapshots and
btrfs, but that imho is a lot messier.

Cheers,
Wol