Keep in mind that the index gets updated when the PRIMARY file gets written to
disk.  If the value of the translate changes (because the secondary file gets
updated), the index will still be loaded with the old value.  This is not a
bug.  That is just the way it works.

For example, let's say you had a SALES.ORDER file (primary) that stores the
CUSTOMER.ID as one of its field.  In the CUSTOMER file (secondary), you have a
field called CREDIT.STATUS.

Next, you have a translate from the SALES.ORDER file going to the CUSTOMER file
to return the CREDIT.STATUS of the customer associated with the orders.  No
problem so far.

Next, you add an alternate index to this translate.  At that moment, everything
is fine.

However, if the CREDIT.STATUS for a customer changes, the alternate index
(translate) in the SALES.ORDER file will not know there is a change!  Any
alternate indexes on the CUSTOMER file will be updated because the CUSTOMER
file was written to disk.  Since the SALES.ORDER file was not written to disk,
its alternate indexes remain unchanged.

Thus if you select all the SALES.ORDERs with the customer's CREDIT.STATUS =
"1", you will get the orders whose CREDIT.STATUS WAS "1", but may not be any
more.

If you are confident that the value of the translate will not change, then you
should be OK.

John