Chris,

I can appreciate what you are doing as an academic exercise.

You seem happy how it looks at this moment, where, because you set "MINIMUM.MODULUS 118681", you ended up with a current load of 63%. But think about it: as you add records, the load will reach 70%, per "SPLIT.LOAD 70", then splits will keep occuring and current modlus with grow past 118681. MINIMUM.MODULUS will never matter again. (This was described as an ever-growing file.)

If the current config is what you want, why not just set "SPLIT.LOAD 63 MINIMUM.MODULUS 1". That way the ratio that you like today will stay like this forever.

MINIMUM.MODULUS will not matter unless data is deleted. It says to not shrink the file structure below that minimally allocated disk space, even if there is no data to occupy it. That's really all MINIMUM.MODULUS is for.

Play with it all you want, because it puts you in a good place when some crisis happens. At the end of the day, with this file, you'll find your tuning won't matter much. Not a lot of help, but not much harm if you tweak it wrong, either.