so is this summary correct?
Unidata only accepts the '[]' wildcards in ecltype "P". In ecotype "U" you need
to use the LIKE/MATCH "…" syntax.
However, in ecltype "P", paragraphs always run their commands as ecltype "U".
So in ecltype "P", the "[]" wildcards will work when typed at TCL, but not in a
paragraph.
However, a proc P command will perform its commands using the current ecltype
You can make a proc use ecltype "U" by using the PU command instead of the P
command.
You can also force ecotype "U" by issuing the verb in lower or mixed case--List
instead of LIST.

Is the proc PU usage documented anywhere?