Show us the relent dictionary items, the SQL statement, and the "LIST.INDEX
{filename} ALL" output

You should also try native SELECT commands using the index to see if
performance is as expected.
SELECT ... FROM CUSTOMER WHERE I_ZIP = "12345";                 vs
LIST CUSTOMER WITH I_ZIP = "12345"

Also, try including "REQUIRE.INDEX" and then "NO.INDEX" at the back end of your
command to see the difference.
The 'REQUIRE.INDEX' will fail if the selected index could not be used:

        REQUIRE.INDEX
           Use in a  RetrieVe  command  to  specify  that  secondary  key
           indexes  must  be  used  to  process  the sentence. If indexes
           cannot be used, an error message appears and the sentence does
           not proceed.

The 'NO.INDEX' will bypass the use of an index, showing the resulting
performance change:

        NO.INDEX
           Use in a  RetrieVe  command  to  specify  that  secondary  key
           indexes not be used if they exist. This is useful when indexes
           are not up to date or built.

Finally, the order of occurrence of the selection criteria can impact the use
of secondary indices.

... david ...

David L. Wasylenko
President, Pick Professionals, Inc