On 30/07/12 00:58, unidata7 wrote:
> I'm trying to learn UniData and keep coming across 3rd party tools ie
> RocketSoftware. Can this be done without using a 3rd party tool? I don't
> know how to insert data to begin. Does the data need to be formatted in a
> certain way?

Firstly, Rocket does not supply "3rd party" tools - they are the first
party - they own Unidata :-)

Secondly, are you thinking like you could do in SQL and create a script?
You could create a script and invoke UniData's ED to create the records.

Or you could go to a site like pickwiki.com, and look at the sample code
there. There are a bunch of load/dump routines that I wrote (and I'm
sure others have written some too) that will transfer data between MV
systems and csv or fixed-width text files.

And PI always came with a data entry system called ENTRO iirc. I think
it comes with UV, so it probably comes with UD, but it's well old ...
but I always just use ED.

If you've got ENTRO, I'd actually think that might be a good starting
point! Shout for help by all means, but getting to grips with a new
database system - especially a different paradigm of database system -
is always tricky. I'll just give you a couple of play tips to get
started ...

CREATE.FILE MY.PLAY.FILE
ENTRO DICT MY.PLAY.FILE
ENTRO MY.PLAY.FILE

Think up a bunch of columns that you want in your play file (like a SQL
table) then use that above to try and enter it.

Then play with the following commands to see what the database has
actually done ...

ED DICT MY.PLAY.FILE columnname
ED MY.PLAY.FILE itemname

That'll start getting you into understanding the MV database structure -
of course it's a lot more complicated, but it's a first step :-)

Cheers,
Wol