Thanks Brian I will try that out.

-----Original Message-----
From: u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org
[mailto:u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org] On Behalf Of Brian Leach
Sent: Tuesday, August 14, 2012 3:32 PM
To: U2 Users List
Subject: Re: [U2] Mocking UniSession in .NET

... in fact if you're building, you may be better off just using a
stringbuilder and generating the delimited string. If the UniDynArray is
wrapping a string that might explain why it seems slow. (.net strings
are immutable so changing strings is a bad idea).

on the server the string manipulations are highly optimised using
various hidden pointers and hints.

Brian

Sent from my iPad

On 14 Aug 2012, at 21:25, Brian Leach <br...@brianleach.co.uk> wrote:

> Do you need to send an actual UniDynArray or the underlying data in a
dynamic array format? IIIRC the UniSubroutine arguments are overloaded
to use strings: and a dynamic array (encapsulated in a UniDynArray) is
actually a delimited string. Fields separated by \xFe, values by \xFD,
text encoding is 8 bit ansi so get the TextEncoding from page 1252.

> Now I dont know what the UniDynArray does internally to manage data
> but I have found it slow, and often better to go to the underlying
> string and parse or manipulate it directly e.g. using a
> List<string>.AddRange( myArray.StringValue.Split('\xFd'));
>
> AFAIK the only reason the UniDynArray is constructed from the
UniSession is because it needs to get any NLS mappings from the server
(anyone know better?) and certainly the older COM implementation of
UniObjects did not need a session to create a dynamic array, so you
could probably just simulate that and ignore the parenting UniSession.

> oh and be careful about insert, you probably need replace in most
cases. that will replace the content of an existing or non-existing
element.

<ra...@rammutual.com> wrote:

>> Hmm my Business logic sends data to Data Layer then data layer talks
>> to pick server by using UniObject.NET dll. What I'm trying to unit
>> test is this DataLayer Calls to pick to check whether it converts
>> complex objects to UniDynArrays correctly.
>>
>> So How do you abstract UniSession out? Sproc coming from pick side
>> (which I have no control over) require me to send UniDynArray.
>>
>> What I want is to send user data to a UniDynArray. I have already
>> interfaced UniDynArray insert methods but I can't see how I could
>> return a UniDynArray without a UniSession. Is there a way you could
>> fake UniSession for unit testing purposes?

the GUI will work when linked to the back-end.