It's all fine if the program controls both lists, but in this case the
SUBR(..) type field could be accessed in just about any context, from TCL,
from a download, from MITS, from another BASIC routine, with or without a
select list...

The RTNLIST doesn't solve the problem of my "select" command consuming the
active list 0.  It seems that the PASSLIST extension to EXECUTE is designed
specifically for this purpose, but it produces nothing but compilation
errors:

CMD = "select ..."
EXECUTE CMD CAPTURING OUTPUT RTNLIST 2 PASSLIST 2

...produces a compilation error about the "misuse" of RTNLIST, despite the
documentation saying this should be possible.

The point is that I want to leave select list 0 entirely alone, which is
why I'm using $BASICTYPE "U".  BASICTYPE "P" - standard on these SB+
systems - does not allow one to READNEXT from anything but list 0, and I
want to leave list zero untouched.

Gotta be a way, right?

-K