From: u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org
[mailto:u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org] On Behalf Of Wols Lists
Sent: Tuesday, October 02, 2012 4:20 AM
To: u2-users@listserver.u2ug.org
Subject: Re: [U2] [u2] Parallel processing in Universe

On 02/10/12 03:49, Ross Ferris wrote:
> If the file were big enough, and already had part files, then I believe that
> you could have a phantom process each of the individual parts. Failing that,
> get an SSD .... relatively cheap, and will give your processing a reasonable
> kick along!!

Just be careful with an SSD. If you have a power-fail in the middle of
your process this sounds just like the scenario that will trash it. As
in, totally dead no recovery possible.

SSDs are great, but a power fail during write can take out the
controller. One dead, irrecoverable disk. And if you're hammering the
i/o you are VERY vulnerable.

Cheers,
Wol