On 02/10/12 15:28, George Gallen wrote:
> What about an striped array of SSD with a backup battery to flush the write
> buffer on power fail.
> No more dangerous (IMO) than an array of hard drives - but given the limited
> write times of an SSD
> That could be more of a danger, unless your using larger drives and not a lot
> of data so the drive
> Has lot's of area to failover to when it reaches it's write maximum.

I guess a backup battery would save you. Basically, anything to prevent
power dying in the middle of a write. But the striped array would
probably simply mean several trashed drives instead of one. It's a
known, guaranteed, "this is what will kill a drive" scenario, and an
array would just mean more drives at risk.

The place I came across a major discussion about this (I knew of the
issue earlier) said that some combo of Windows, update, and a certain
laptop was notorious for writing off drives. The update would flood the
cache, then the laptop would suspend. Cue one dead drive and, if within
warranty, one no-quibble replacement.

Cheers,
Wol