I don't understand what's wrong with indexing, can you clarify this point, and
I'll wipe out a fix in three days :)

-----Original Message-----
From: Brian Leach <br...@brianleach.co.uk>
To: 'U2 Users List' <u2-users@listserver.u2ug.org>
Sent: Thu, Oct 4, 2012 4:05 am
Subject: Re: [U2] Consuming Web Services

Getting back to the original question:

In most, but not all cases, I use:

UniVerse => (socket) => .NET Service -> Web Service

Where the .net service is not necessarily on the same machine as UniVerse
(security/firewalling restrictions). Using UniVerse sockets to drive
services is something I do in a lot of my applications (mvPDF, mvDistributor
etc.) and works well.

I also have routines for calling web services directly over UniVerse
sockets, but you don't get the advantages of WSDL import and XML/JSON
serialization built into .Net. The CallHTTP stuff is a pretty rubbish set of
functions over the top of the socket API and XDOM is horrible so it's easier
and more flexible to do your own if you're going that way :)

As for the other stuff: we all love the u2 model (or we wouldn't be here)
but that shouldn't blind us to the fact that there are areas where the
implementation could be improved: indexing is one of those. Using cache
better is probably another, but restricted by the fact that this is a
multi-process model: caching would be much easier for single process,
multithreaded servers that don't have to load shared memory segments to make
data visible to all participants. In a replication scenario, for example,
being able to replicate directly to a subscribers' cache could have
advantages if you don't need the subscriber to guarantee that it has
committed to disk in good time (unless it suddenly becomes a
publisher/fail-over when it has to sync the cache)..

Brian