From: Tony Gravagno <3xk547...@sneakemail.com>
To: u2-users <u2-users@listserver.u2ug.org>
Sent: Sat, Oct 27, 2012 12:23 pm
Subject: Re: [U2] UPLOAD not DOWNLOAD

Well, what you say below is exactly opposite of what I described.
Normally I would encourage anyone else to re-read what I wrote and
cite specific text which leads to the conclusions below - in this
case... nah.

The data source never needs to know anything about the target - that
would be silly.

And no, I didn't describe a process that "goes the wrong way" - you
said "*into* Universe (not out from it)" which is what I described.
Perhaps what confused you is that the code for going in both
directions looks exactly the same - which is one of the neat aspects
of the approach.

BTW, someone might suggest from my code that the retrieval from the
source is done in bulk while posting  to the U2 target seems to be
done with individual transactions. That could be the case and for
large loads I'd modify the code to aggregate the data into a
collection and then post that to U2 in a single transaction.

BTW, the terms UPload and DOWNload are hugely ambiguous, and I believe
you have defined the terms backwards here. When I download to my PC,
it is TO my PC, not away from it. When I upload to a web server, the
data is moving out. And yet you define "UPLOAD not DOWNLOAD" as
meaning  "*into* Universe (not out from it)". The terms IMport and
EXport are more explicit. Your reference to the Cedarville Download
utility is a clue to the confusion. Cedarville is using Download in
the context of the recipient of the information downloading
information to a more familiar format from the Unidata server. From
the perspective of everyone in this group, that would be an Export,
and going in the opposite direction would be an Import. So what you're
describing is an Import into U2 ... traditionally described as a
download.