I have a client that has a client's tape containing the file system from a UNIDATA system running under some form of Unix. They want to load it up on a Windows PC and using the Windows version of UNIDATA, retrieve file data.

I have seen in the past that sometimes a file from one OS (like Unix) was not able to be read under a different OS (Windows). This happened once to me with a PKZIP file. There was something slightly different about the file headers or something like that.

So the question is, what is the best way to load the data?

Is there a conversion utility that you run AFTER you load the data to convert any file header differences?

Or are the file headers compatible?

Or...?

Robert Norman