From: u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org
[mailto:u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org] On Behalf Of Wols Lists
Sent: 07 November 2012 10:42
To: u2-users@listserver.u2ug.org
Subject: Re: [U2] Loading a UNIX-based UNIDATA file system on a Windows
system...

And to add even further to the mix ... bear in mind my advice is about
operating systems not U2, and my knowledge is UV not UD ...

Are you SURE it's not needed if the source is Linux? Or do you actually
mean Linux/x86? Certainly with UV, the OS is irrelevant, what matters is
the endian-ness of the chip, so files can be freely copied between Intel
machines regardless of OS. (Mind you, you probably can't get U2 for
non-Intel Linux :-)

And nobody has even mentioned the file-corruption issue the OP asked
about ... this is *probably* ftp. Could be samba. Anyways, you need to
make sure that however you copy the files, you tell it that it is a
binary file. If ftp or samba think it's a text file, it will translate
between crlf and lf (and cr on a mac, I believe).

Cheers,
Wol

On 06/11/12 21:03, Wally Terhune wrote:
> Fnuxi is UniVerse - not UniData.
>
> UDTBIN\convdata will convert the byte order of hashed files.
> If the source machine is Linux, this will not be necessary.
> You will need to run it - if the source UNIX is AIX, HPUX, Solaris.
>
> Convidx will convert UniData indexes.
> If you need to run programs: convcode
>
> Wally Terhune
> Technical Support Engineer
> Rocket Software
> 4600 South Ulster Street, Suite 1100 **Denver, CO 80237 **USA
> t: +1 720 475 8055 **e: wterh...@rocketsoftware.com **w:
> u2.rocketsoftware.com

Windows system...

> After loading the data on the Windows system you will have to run
> fnuxi
> (C:\u2\UV\bin\fnuxi) on each file you wish to access. I would suggest
you do this as follows:
> - locate the directory where the UniData files are loaded
> - run fnuxi on the VOC and D_VOC
> - drop into UniData and create a listing of the files in the directory

> (LIST ONLY VOC WITH F1 = "F") output to the hold file and copy the
> list from the hold file to the directory containing the UniData files
> - using the editor of your choice prefix each line in the file tie
> c:\u2\UV\bin\fnuxi.exe and save it as a windows .bat file
> - run the batch file to convert all the files.
> - edit the batch file and change all the filenames to D_filename
> - run it again
>

> Robert wrote:
>> I have a client that has a client's tape containing the file system
>> from a UNIDATA system running under some form of Unix. They want to
>> load it up on a Windows PC and using the Windows version of UNIDATA,
>> retrieve file data.
>>
>> I have seen in the past that sometimes a file from one OS (like Unix)

>> was not able to be read under a different OS (Windows). This happened

>> once to me with a PKZIP file. There was something slightly different
>> about the file headers or something like that.
>>

>> So the question is, what is the best way to load the data?
>>
>> Is there a conversion utility that you run AFTER you load the data to

>> convert any file header differences?
>>
>> Or are the file headers compatible?
>>
>> Or...?
>>
>> Robert Norman

Click
https://www.mailcontrol.com/sr/MZbqvYs5QwJvpeaetUwhCQ==
tflf2J7gTMnv4MtWkFx2NBVUENuAmfNZOqsCq9I+zBdpQ==  to report this email as
spam.

Epicor Software (UK) is a limited company registered in England & Wales.
Registration Number: 2338274.   Registered Office:  6th Floor, One London Wall,
London EC2Y 5EB
This e-mail and any attachments to it are confidential and is for the use of
the intended recipient(s) only. If you have received this e-mail in error,
please notify the sender immediately and then delete it. If you are not the
intended recipient, you must not use, disclose or distribute this e-mail
without the author's prior permission. We have taken precautions to minimize
the risk of transmitting software viruses, but we advise you to carry out your
own virus checks on any attachment to this message. We cannot accept liability
for any loss or damage caused by software viruses. Any views and/or opinions
expressed in this e-mail are of the author only and do not represent the views
of Epicor Software (UK) Limited or any other company within its group.