From: u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org
[mailto:u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org] On Behalf Of Ross Ferris
Sent: Wednesday, November 21, 2012 8:38 PM
To: U2 Users List
Subject: Re: [U2] converting D3 to UniData

I can share that it depends on a lot on the application.

Many years ago (now) there was an outsourced computer logistics company that
wanted to install our R5 ERP product .... only problem was, we used D3  but
the company had Unidata, and would NOT contemplate a change.

So, the client contracted Unidata (Australia) to undertake the conversion.
They had a look at some of the code and came up with a "quote" of "less than
a week".

The week passed, and the timeframe had grown to a month. They were having
issues with some of the dictionary items we had, and they advised client it
would take another week, then a month, then 2 months, then .... our prospect
said "too hard".

Interestingly enough, the company DID end up installing a new ERP system
.... running jBase (from Citadel).

I'm sure things have progressed a lot since then, and yet .....

(like I said, this was quite a few years ago, and I'm sure their
interoperability will have improved. Why, I bet any day now even Universe
conversions will be a snap ;-)

Ross Ferris
Stamina Software
Visage > Better by Design!