A few questions - What linux version/distro are you on and what type of
file system, and how much ram do you have

-----Original Message-----
From: u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org
[mailto:u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org] On Behalf Of Perry Taylor
Sent: 04 February 2013 15:57
To: U2-Users List
Subject: [U2] [UV] Large File Operations Kill Linux

Looking for some ideas on how to keep Linux from becoming largely
unresponsive when creating large files.  What happens is as the new file is
being created the I/O buffer cache quickly fills up with dirty buffers.
Until the kernel can flush these out to disk there is no avail buffers for
I/O operations from other processes.  .  The most troubling manifestation of
this is the transaction logging check point daemon gets *way* behind putting
us as risk if we were to have a failure of some kind.

I have tried using ionice and renice to slow the file creation down as much
as possible.  This help a little but is still a big problem.  Any ideas how
to get CREATE.FILE/RESIZE to play nice on Linux?

Thanks.
Perry
Perry Taylor
Senior MV Architect
ZirMed
888 West Market Street, Suite 400
Louisville, KY 40202
www.zirmed.com<http://www.zirmed.com/>

distribution is prohibited. ZirMed, Inc. has strict policies regarding the
content of e-mail communications, specifically Protected Health Information,
any communications containing such material will be returned to the
originating party with such advisement noted. If you are not the intended
of the original message.