Sometimes the hardest information to find is that what you want to do isn't possible. So let me tell you what is and what isn't possible, in printing PDFs in Windows.

1) You can OPEN a PDF based on its file extension. From the command line, you can simply type type pathname of the PDF. From Windows Explorer, you can double-click. These use a system in Windows called "file associations". Specifically here, you're using the OPEN verb. In the Windows registry there is a command associated with ".PDF" and "open"; typically it runs Adobe Reader. Once open, it is up to the user to print the file.

2) You can also execute the command string yourself, if you know what EXE to use. That is what you cited in a later email.

3) In Windows Explorer, you can also right-click on a PDF and select "Print", to cause Windows to print the file on the default printer. This is using the "print" verb in the file association. Behind the scenes, this will run a command, typically running Adobe Reader with a "/p" parameter (for "print").

4) There is NOT an equivalent way to do this from the command line.

5) You can create a shortcut to a specific printer on your desktop. Then you can drag a PDF to this shortcut, and it MAY print on this (non-default) printer. This uses the less-documented "printto" verb in the system of file associations. Support in Reader for printing in this way has varied by version.

6) There is NOT an equivalent way to do this from the command line.

7) You MIGHT be able to invoke Reader with some command line parameters to cause it to print on a specific printer. Results may vary by version.

8) NONE of these will let you control various output options in Reader, such as whether the report should be shrunk to fit the printable page.

9) All of these assume that the PDF file to be printed exists on the Windows PC, or is accessible to it, such as via Samba. None will pull the file from an HTTP or FTP server.

Bottom line is that there is not a good and convenient way to do this using Windows commands.

However, we offer a solution, in the form of our Print Wizard product. Consider the following command:
   printwiz.exe http://somehost.com/somefile.pdf  /p"My laserjet printer"
This will bring up printwiz.exe, which will fetch the PDF from the http server into memory (never being stored on the local disk), and print it to the specified printer. Printwiz is doing the PDF interpretation itself, it is not using any Adobe or other products.

There are a huge number of other options, such as shrink-to-fit, page range, multiple copies, password entry, preview, watermarking, form overlaying, and more.

See www.anzio.com for more details and a free demo.