I'll cast another vote for UTF-8. This mechanism for storing and transmitting Unicode data is elegantly designed, and it should be usable in almost any legacy system that allows 8-bit data. Take a look at its byte value allocations:

* Hex-00 through hex-1F are standard control characters, like ASCII.

* Hex-20 through hex-7F exactly match ASCII.

* Hex-80 through hex-9F are not used, because they might conflict with high (C1) control codes.

* Hex-A0 through hex-FF are used in various combinations to represent international characters;

EXCEPT

* The codes for multi-value mark, etc., are not used.

* It's a stateless system; that is, it doesn't phase shift from one scheme to another.

Unicode data stored this way can include English, Russian, Chinese, Turkish, Braille, Byzantine musical symbols, and on and on.

The precautions you must take, off the top of my head, are:

* You can't assume that one byte of storage represents one character or one screen cell.

* You must be careful not to break a character in half (or thirds, etc.)

* You must be careful with anything that inputs or outputs data, to make sure it works in UTF-8.

By the way, our terminal emulation (Anzio) and printing programs (Print Wizard) handle UTF-8 very well.