I, for one, truly appreciate it when people post back like this when they finally find the solution to their puzzle.
Thanks, Al.

cds

On 4/12/2013 9:59 AM, Al DeWitt wrote:
We found the cause to this problem and I thought I'd share it with you.

The file we append sits on a virtual PC.  The VOC pointer is
\\file-server\share-name\folder-name

This PC is configured for automatic windows updates and automatically restarts.
 We had Patch Tuesday.  The PC restarted fine and automatically started the
application, however, the share-name stopped working.

When the IT person tried to restart it he didn't do it correctly.  Now that we
have correctly recreated share-name all is well.

Thanks for all your help.

Al DeWitt