*From:* br...@brianleach.co.uk
*To:* 'U2 Users List' <u2-users@listserver.u2ug.org>
*Date:* 4/22/2013 12:12 PM
*Subject:* Re: [U2] Refactoring Tools
Jeff -

Exactly :)

I mean refactoring as in restructuring old code to make it more testable and
consistent. You find these tools for .NET, java and other languages though
there the model is different because of the OO nature. Universe code doesn't
decompose down the same way but I was just wondering whether anyone had
built some assisting tools before I have to start designing and building
some.

Example, an slice through a program that mixes UI and business logic to rip
out the useful guts into external subroutines for unit testing whilst
preserving the overall logic safely. Which means the tool needs at least a
rudimentary understanding of code syntax and scope rather than just
stripping lines out. (e.g. this block sets a local variable as a by-product,
that also just happens to be used 5,000 lines later on in a GoSub so it
needs to be surfaced if the block is externalized - that kind of stuff that
could easily get lost).

I've written plenty of code analysis software but not specifically for this.

Regards

Brian