From: Wjhonson
> Tony, the link I posted has tons of free code.

Just no MV BASIC implementation. So the tons of free code there has nothing to
do with your suggestion that "someone" write something new.

> So "giving it away for free" is not anything new, although I know that
> attacking that idea is your own personal hobby horse :)

I manage and/or contribute to freeware on Google Code, Codeplex, Sourceforge,
GitHub, PickWiki, my own freeware page, and elsewhere. I also provide
occasional forum support for various freeware projects and Android apps. It's
easily evident that I don't have any axe to grind against freeware.

> I was just suggesting maybe there could also be a BASIC algorithm
> listed on that link, along with all the other ones listed.

And I just have a visceral reaction when people _assume_ that something of
value is going to be written on uncompensated time, given away for free, and
then maintained at no cost by people who obviously derive commercial benefit.

You mistake my pro-FOSS comments as attacks. The problem with the FOSS model is
that it's horrendously abused by people who take but don't give back, by people
who assume that there is no cost in terms of time or contributions, let alone
money) for what they consume, but people who casually suggest that someone else
will provide slave labor for the benefit of all. The FOSS world is a mass
graveyard of dead projects abandoned by altruistic developers who've been
abused by hoards of people who love their software creations - and when one
developer is beaten down the locusts fly off to the next project. Our own
community has hundreds of offerings that have suffered this fate. I support the
model enough to point out its faults in the hope that good software doesn't go
away because of the propagation of this inane idea that somehow it's all "free"
- as in beer.

One of the problems with this MV industry is that it's all about Take and not
about Give. If this industry as a whole had a clue what FOSS was about (rather
than just paying lip service) then we could be following the lead of many other
platforms out there and attracting new developers.

Far from attacking FOSS, I have strong objections to those who chronically
don't understand how it works, especially when that erodes at our everyday
business lives. _That_ is the hobby horse that I ride.