Date: Thu, 06 Jun 2013 17:06:06 +0100
From: Mecki Foerthmann <mec...@gmx.net>
To: U2 Users List <u2-users@listserver.u2ug.org>
Subject: [U2] How do I get the U2 Metadata Manager to work

Ever since we finally upgraded UniData at work I have been trying out
the new tools and don't seem to have much fun with them.
The best one is XAdmin and I use it a lot these days.

IMHO the interface is a bit crude and clunky, but I guess that's Eclipse
and you can't do much about that.
The BDT is not of much use since I need to make tweaks of the program
using AE (even if it only to make PRC work) but when I then open it
again in BDT it reverts to the old version. Looks like it keeps that in
memory on my PC so any changes made on the server are lost.
Looks nice and shiny but the syntax check isn't really working either.
99% of the errors shown turn out to be no errors at all.

The latest one I tried is the Metadata Manager.
It installed fine and I can connect to the server and the database no
problem.
I can see the files and the dictionaries and can even change data on the
server but that's it.
The metadata tools I want to use are all greyed out, so what am I doing
wrong?

As stated in the Help I ran MIGRATE.SQL on the server but all I achieved
is that I now cannot change anything using the old Avante Batch Schema
Generation process. It goes through the motions but just hangs up at the
end now.

So at the end I am not overly impressed.