>From the script, cranking in an LPTR1 or calling a UniBasic sub... on a
script-by-script basis... is a more flexible fix than the brute force
system-wide SETPTR.DEFAULT approach.

 --Bill Brutzman

-----Original Message-----
From: u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org
[mailto:u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org] On Behalf Of Wols Lists
Sent: Monday, July 8, 2013 6:48 PM
To: u2-users@listserver.u2ug.org
Subject: Re: [U2] UniVerse LPTR

On 08/07/13 21:19, Bill Brutzman wrote:
> Thanks to Martin, Phil, and Anthony.
>
> The SETPTR and then SETPTR.DEFAULT is the way to go.
>
> I am remembering the ugh.... when the server is reBoots... the
> settings vanish.
>
> Of course, this LPTR command appears in a legacy script.
>
> Perhaps I can insert a little SETPTR 0...etc into the script so that
> we can bypass the server reboot problem.
>
> Comments would be appreciated.

Do your users mess about at all with their printer settings?

Will they get upset if this script starts messing about with their printer?

If you want this printout coming out on the same printer regardless of user,
I'd do a SETPTR 1... followed by a LPTR 1

Our rule was always "the user's default printer is on unit 0, and it's the
one closest to their desk". Any other printer or unit was fair game for the
programmer as required. Not knowing your setup, my immediate reaction would
be "is tampering with the printer going to mess up stuff I don't know
about", hence my preference for picking any unit OTHER than 0, and messing
about with that.

Cheers,
Wol