From: Keith Johnson
> Hi Tony,
> 'Twas a teensy bug under an unusual circumstance... Hey, wait a
> minute, you're the one who complained that no-one updated other
> people's code! You wouldn't be trying to yank Will's chain, would
you?

Indeed I do comment occasionally on the proportion of takers to givers
with MV FOSS, and the unfortunately low number of takers at that. When
I saw your name on a recent update I had to chuckle at the
coincidence/irony - no yankin intended.

BTW, Keith, I dunno if you got an email I sent to Emerald Glen today.
The old domain is gone and your contact info on PickWiki is old - I
was concerned that we had lost ya. Thanks for chiming in.

Since we're here, as to testing file vars - in a platform where we
have so few data types I'd consider it quite poor for a developer to
not know if a given variable was supposed to contain a file
descriptor, or to try to use it without testing for assignment. My
approach is to use IF NOT(ASSIGNED(FVAR)) or in Unidata IF
UNASSIGNED(FVAR). But at a higher level where I only open files once,
I do this:

IF NOT(ASSIGNED(INITIALIZED)) OR ( ASSIGNED(INITIALIZED) AND
NOT(INITIALIZED)) THEN
  OK = 1
  GOSUB OPEN.FILES ; * note, no need to check individual files
  IF OK THEN GOSUB OTHER.INITS
  IF NOT(OK) THEN
      GOSUB REPORT.ERROR
      RETURN ; * leave without setting init, app is in a bad state
  END
  INITIALIZED = 1
END
* OK to continue from here
* Don't even attempt file operations if Not(Initialized)

http://Nebula-RnD.com/blog
http://Twitter.com/TonyGravagno
http://www.LinkedIn.com/in/TonyGravagno
Visit http://PickWiki.com! Contribute!