I'm pretty sure Universe can open windows SMB drives, but I don't know that
I ever tried it with other MV systems. Keep in mind the most important
thing about windows  SMB drive shares:  unless you are logged into the
desktop, it doesn't automatically map them.  You may need to issue a "net
use" command to authenticate the share (or set it up within windows so that
authentication is not needed.)

*Aaron Titus*
Senior Software Engineer
F.W. Davison & Company, Inc.