Rocket added an @variable (don't recall the name of it) that tells which call
is being made.

Perry

-----Original Message-----
From: u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org
[mailto:u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org] On Behalf Of Charles Stevenson
Sent: Saturday, August 03, 2013 9:40 AM
To: U2 Users List
Subject: Re: [U2] [UV] Do you avoid TRIGGERS because of the difficulty using
DEBUG or RAID with them? Was: Universe Triggers

David,

I didn't understand your 1st clause, "Now that (from UV10.1) Index-based
triggers are officially supported,...".

By "index-based triggers",  I assume you mean the trick of indexing an
I-descriptor that calls a subroutine that updates some other file, which
is generally not the sort of thing you expect such a subroutine to do.

What is this "official support"?  Did I miss an announcement, a change
in the documentation, or a whitepaper?

And  by "support"  -  just to get my hopes up beyond all reason - does
that mean they've introduced some mechanism (@variable?) to help
distinguish among calls of the subroutine for insert (where indexing
calls the subroutine once, to find the new value to index) delete (where
indexing calls the subroutine 1x, to find the value to delete), and
change (where indexing calls the subroutine 2x, once with the old
version of the record, once with the new, to see whether the indexed
value has changed and, if so,  what to delete, what to add.
Distinguishing these has always been tricky for the general case.

Hope springs eternal,
Chuck

On 8/1/2013 12:32 PM, Hona, David wrote:
> Now that (from UV10.1) Index-based triggers are officially supported, can
> these replace your SQL-based triggers? These have less functionality and less
> overhead, but that's the price you have to pay....
>
> Can't say I had a chance to try it for myself...yet...!

>>> 1. Have one master file trigger subroutine (globally catalogued) that calls
>>> subroutines (locally catalogued) tailored to individual files.  This means
>>> you don't have to stop and restart Universe when a new trigger is required
>>> or a change to an existing one.  If the master subroutine changes, you do
>>> have to restart Universe.
>>> 2. Use a control record that records the subroutine name and state of the
>>> trigger for each file having a trigger.
>>> 3. Use a program to change the state of a trigger, using the control
>>> records in 2 above.
>>> 4. Make sure all background processes that have a file with a trigger open
>>> are logged out when recompiling the subroutine for that file trigger.
>>> 5. Remember that you can't do anything to a file with an active trigger
>>> whilst in the RAID debugger (it will crash).  Rather, if you are testing a
>>> file trigger subroutine, drop the trigger and use a trigger testing program
>>> that calls the subroutine after taking a copy of the record being changed,
>>> pausing whilst you change it in another session, and then resuming, calling
>>> the subroutine.
>>>
>>> If you would like samples of any of the software mentioned above, let me
>>> know, and I can send them to you.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Ken Ford
>>> Universe Software Developer
>>> t 07 3013 8605 | f 07 3002 8400
>>> e ken.f...@firstmac.com.au | w firstmac.com.au

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message, including any
attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s)
and may contain confidential and privileged information.  Any
unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is
prohibited. ZirMed, Inc. has strict policies regarding the
content of e-mail communications, specifically Protected Health
Information, any communications containing such material will
be returned to the originating party with such advisement
noted. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact
the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the