  GOSUB CREATE.TEMP.DICT
  GOSUB BUILD.LIST2
  GOSUB FINISH.UP

On 8/27/2013 4:03 PM, Wjhonson wrote:
It seems to me that the easiest way to create a "list of orders where the customers
state is Arizona"
is to first create a translation FROM the Order file INTO the Customer file
which will return the customers state
and then just select on that new dictionary entry

-----Original Message-----
From: Rick Nuckolls <r...@lynden.com>
To: 'U2 Users List' <u2-users@listserver.u2ug.org>
Sent: Tue, Aug 27, 2013 4:01 pm
Subject: Re: [U2] Select from one file with save-list from another file

Your response supposes that the ORDER.ID IS is in the CUSTOMERS file/table,
which is not the criteria of the original problem.

The problem presented is a bit difficult to work around in RETRIEVE, and even
harder if you are restricted to not programming, as Brandon evidently is.

We wrote a utility that will take a preselected list and create a new list based
on the values of an alternate key, which would functions as

SELECT CUSTOMERS WITH STATE = 'AZ'

SELECTINDEX ORDERS CUSTOMER.ID     ## use the CUSTOMER.ID index of ORDERS to
find those orders related to customers within the list; return a list of ORDERS
ids.

Alternately, in Brandon's example, it might work to create a translate field
from the Y.INFO file to the Y.INFO status field, but that would probably involve
a less efficient overall selection, and would not be practical if the data
common to the two tables (packet.id), is the primary key to neither, in which
case:

SELECT X.INFO WITH status = 'ccc' SAVING [UNIQUE] packet.id

SELECTINDEX Y.INFO packet.id

Sorry that I am unable to send out the code for SELECTINDEX, but, a simple
version is straightforward to program using the BASIC "SELECTINDEX" function.

-Rick