In Unidata indexes DO mean faster selects.  I have file with millions
of records with about 14 indexes and most every select on the index
comes back in under a second.   Our disks are 90,000 IO's per second
with a 16GB main memory, without indexes to select and read through
that data takes 5 to 10 minutes minimum.

I have an open ticket with Rocket Software about indexes failing after
7.3.2. I had a similar problem and reduced my version from 7.3.4 to
7.3.2.

Regards,
Doug
www.u2logic.com
"XLr8Tools for Universe and Unidata programmers"