Depends on how portable you want your code to be. Some older systems, even some symbols are case insensitive. For U2, Unidata is pickier out of the box about keyword case than UniData. I've settled on UPPERCASE for reserved words and camelCase for variables. But old-school die hards think it's totally unreadable. I think if you program in other languages, you find it appealing. If I discard the criticism of those who still embrace GOTO, then the objections are probably 1 out of 4. You know the programmer is poser if he writes GOTO as goTo :-)

-BD

On 12/20/2013 12:01 PM, Bobby Worley wrote:
First off - Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.

I'm starting to write a lot of new BASIC (Universe 11.1) subroutines for
our DesignBais application, and since I'll be starting with a blank code
template instead of modifying existing code, and I thought 'hey why not
join the 21st century' and make the code look more mainstream, and
readable.  (falling back on our last TEXMUG presentation by Clif Oliver on
refactoring).

And considering Universe 11.2 now supports local subroutines and functions,
I should make the code look and behave more object-like.

Does anyone know of a set of rules or guidelines on how to do this?    Just
experimenting briefly, Universe BASIC compiler will allow any mix of cases
for keywords, but variables are case sensitive.  Example:

ED BP TEST
ABC=1
Abc=2
abc=3
PRINT ABC
Print Abc
pRiNt abc
stop
end

RUN TEST
1
2
3

So, how are developers mixed case in their code these day? Do keywords,
local variables, common variable, equates follow a standard method?

thanks in advance,