Anthony meant:
    002: CUSTOMER.PHONE.NUMBER<1,3>

On 12/27/2013 1:08 PM, Wols Lists wrote:
CUSTOMER.PHONE.NUMBER.3
0001: I
0002: CUSTOMER.PHONE.NUMBER<3>
<1,3> extracts the 3rd value from that single attribute.
<3> extracts the 3rd attribute, which in this case would yield null.
CUSTOMER.PHONE.NUMBER already extracted the 3rd attribute.
So it is an array 1 attribute long, but with multivalues.

On UD, I think  this is customary:
    002: EXTRACT( CUSTOMER.PHONE.NUMBER,1,3 )

THE  <...>  syntax is really an alternate syntax of the EXTRACT function.

On UV, after you write your I-descriptor & compile it,
    DLIST CUSTOMER.FILE CUSTOMER.PHONE.3
will show you what it actually compiles to.
That can be illuminating.

I think this is beyond your immediate question but:
There are other fancier ways to get at multiple associated values aligned across several fields. Generally involves WHEN, BY.EXP, BY.EXP.DSND keywords. You also need to make sure the I descriptors have an M in <6> and a common association name defined in <7>.

Regards,
cds