The ipad->browser->webserver-> universe seems like the most logical way
to approach this task as it doesn't lock you into apple, the web site
can be made agnostic enough so you can utilize
apple/android/windows/whatever comes out next, it also gives you a far
greater control over security and access to your database and allows you
to encrypt the data easily between server and client preventing man in
the middle attacks and Trojan worms from picking up your data on your
lan, it also allows you to easily extend the capability of your software
into the internet for portability without the need for VPN's and other
mess, this would be the method that I would use.

What are you using between your webserver and the universe server? Are
they on the same box?

Other solutions would be to write a client App for whatever platform you
choose which makes calls directly to a "server" application sitting on
your server which would then use universe as a database, you could
probably get an app to log directly into the universe database, I've
seen it done, but it's not great. For apple you require apple desktops
to develop the software and special software to distribute software
outside of the app store, it's a bit of a nightmare really. Android is
easier and you can just develop on whatever you have using Java and push
the compiled APK to the devices via side loading or write it to update
itself quite easily.

I'd not recommend moving away from your current setup except maybe to a
more robust version of the same general concept.