I found the answer in case anyone stumbles upon this. In Excel, under "UniVerse
ODBC Data Source Setup"
there's a radio button that's defaulted to "Fast Connect (Old OTL)". This was
the problem..

When you bring MultiValue fields into ODBC it treats them like tables and you
need to have refresh your environmental variables for them
to be picked up after you setup an association.

THE SOLUTION = check the radio button "Refresh OTL on Connect". I believe we
needed this with UniVerse 11.x and up.

FROM THE DOCS:

Fast Connect (Old OTL) – This option applies only to UniVerse files that are
not tables. When you select this option, the ODBC table list is not refreshed
in memory, and the File Information Cache is read from disk and used instead.
This option may result
in faster connect times, but possibly in a less up-to-date list of available
tables.Note: The HS_USE_FILEINFO environment variable has no effect at UniVerse
10.2.
Refresh OTL on Connect – This option applies only to UniVerse files that are
not tables. When you select this option, the ODBC table list is queried. This
operation may impact initial connect time. The File Infor-mation Cache is not
updated by the operation. Update the cache by running HS.UPDATE.FILEINFO in the
UniVerse account you are accessing on the server system