Several have responded to my request about U2 reporting with feelings that mirror my own, but now I have a different yet related question.

On Unidata 7.3.3, what limit is causing the following in a report:

too many names in LIST

It seems to appear around 150 fields - if I drop to 149, it runs fine.

I'm not running up the @SENTENCE length (9247). I'm not sure if it's simply a limit on the number of fields or something else. A search of both Uniquery Commands Reference and Unidata Commands Reference doesn't reveal anything about this errror (nor does google).

My LIMITS only show a cap for virtual fields at 256:

U_MAXFNAME:  Unix file name limit =                  118.
U_NAMESZ:    Record id(key) size =                   126.
U_SELEMAX:   Number of select list =                 10.
U_MAXDATA:   Number of DATA statement =              500.
U_HEADSZ:    HEADER/FOOTER length =                  2120.
U_MAXHASHTYPES:     Number of hash functions =       3.
U_MAXSORT:   Number of sort fields(BY...) in LIST =  20.
U_MAXWITH:   WITH stack size =                       512.
U_MAXWHEN:   WHEN stack size =                       60.
U_MAXCAL:    Number of SUM+AVG+PCT+CAL in LIST =     54.
U_MAXBREAK:  Number of BREAK.ON+BREAK.SUP in LIST =  15.
U_MAXLIST:   Number of attribute names in LIST =     999.
U_LINESZ:    Page width in printing =                272.
U_PARASIZE:  Paragraph name and its parameter size = 256.
U_MAXPROMPT: Number of prompts allowed in paragraph =      60.
U_FSIZE:     Dictionary field name size =            31.
U_MAXVALUE:  Number of values WHEN can handle =      10240.
U_MAXBYEXPVAL:  Number of values BY.EXP can handle =      20480.
U_SENTLEN:   Maximum sentence length =               9247.
U_PROCBUFSZ:  Proc buffer size =                     8191.
U_NIDES: Maximum number of virtual fields in query=  256.

--
Jeffrey Butera, PhD
Associate Director for Application and Web Services