Hi Chuck,

1)
We have not scheduled any further bug fixes for 11.1. If something critical
comes up that doesn't have a work-around and there are solid reasons people
cannot move to 11.2.x to receive the bug-fix, we would investigate a further
11.1.x bug fix release. As a general rule we try to make sure we strike the
right balance of focusing on moving the technology forward and making sure we
meet business realities.

As building & QA'ing products is expensive in time, even for bug-fixes, the
longer we back-port fixes to a not latest version it reduces the number of both
new features and bug-fixes for those that stay on the current major versions.

As before, if you encounter a bug in 11.1.15, it will depend on several factors
and the response we be based upon knowing them. For instance, I'm fairly
confident that fixing something non-critical like a misspelled log message
wouldn't be back-ported whereas a critical security bug probably would.

2)
Why the potential jump to 12.1? Well, you'll just have to see, but it would
seem it should be something big, right? :). I say potential as I'm a big fan of
"Nothing is real in software until it's been shipped."
10.3 to 11.1 predates my involvement, but the reason was a major change
throughout the product. It was an underlying change that affected essentially
the entire product. This was needed to implement an enhanced version of
UniData's replication system to replaced UniVerse's original one which had
several short-comings that were not salvageable.
While U2 MDM did have some changes to UniVerse, they really were minor and
didn't involve affecting existing functionality. From that point of view it was
some trivial tweaks to support an external tool.
We now try to follow x.y.z versioning, where 'x' indicates huge architectural
changes either to the product internally or for users of the software. 'y'
indicates major features and major bugfixes, 'z' indicates minor bug-fixes and
the occasional minor enhancement. We do try to minimize enhancements at this
level, although occasionally it is commercially unavoidable.

As to your comment on "due to past wounds", this is something we have talked
extensively about as a team last year and re-iterated at our kick-off meeting
for 2014. Enabling customers to be confident that they came upgrade from
current-1 to current is of paramount importance to us. If you run into anything
new we introduce that breaks that goal, after you've raised via the normal
channel, send me a email personally with the issue reference number.

Regards,

Dan