*From:* david.h...@cba.com.au
*To:* U2 Users List <u2-users@listserver.u2ug.org>
*Date:* 3/11/2014 10:49 PM
*Subject:* Re: [U2] Embedded help as hypertext
I assume you're talking about UV? Define 'improved'?

It could be improved by actually having all the commands, options and functions
in it first. Even the PDF versions are missing information....  :)

However, if you want another/"better" built-in HELP facility for your own
purposes...PIHELP may help you (it offers paging back, sub-topics, indexing, etc.)...

If so, take a look at PIHELP (TCL verb) and SHOW.HELP (subroutine "-SHOW") which is a port of
the Prime INFORMATION help which has 'hypertext' (sub-topics) and paging (back/forwards). In PI, there
was also a subroutine you could call (rather than "EXECUTE PIHELP <subject>". It has own
format where you can specify the help file source and sub-topics indexed based on keywords in the
topic/help message, like this in field/line one:

0001: .*X PIHELP ONLINE COMMAND VERB TOPIC SUBJECT AID ASSISTANCE

An index on the help file would on the above field allow "PHELP ABOUT <keyword>". The
"FROM" key word lets you specify you own help file.

It is better than the native UV HELP in some respects and utilises the default "SYS.HELP" file
or your own (if required). I did note that there is no indices for the SYS.HELP file, so the "PIHELP
ABOUT <topic>" function doesn't work...the required I-type dictionary item to parse the help
records appears to be missing from the dictionary of SYS.HELP (Rocket Support should be able to assist
there).

  The source is in APP.PROGS (PIHELP.B and SHOW.HELP.B) - good luck! I guess it has been
"ported over" for PI/open users that used this facility for their own
applications...

The U2 Tools have built online help too - which are handy. If you use them -
I'd encourage all newcomers to use these tools and similar commercial products
to supplement the built-in native command-line tools (aka terminal shell
session)...

Cheers,
David