If you are on UNIX, you can symbolically link the parts of a file so they actually take the space of another file system. This is how I have gotten around memresizing a 30 gig file. I moved the parts to a different file system or file systemes. Then I symbolically linked them under the directory where the VOC pointer says they live to the place where they physically reside. The memresize then make a rszxxxxxx directory where the VOC pointer says it lives. This rszxxxxx directory (where the xxxxx is some uniqueness that Unidata comes up with a resize time), then only needs 30 gig of free space in the file system, not 60. The memresize will clean up all the space used by the symbolic links when it is thru. It is a pain, but I have used it successfully many times. - Rod
-----Original Message-----
From: Jeff Fitzgerald [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, January 26, 2004 4:01 PM
To: 'U2 Users Discussion List'
Subject: UniData memresize for dynamic files

This question relates to resizing UniData dynamic files using memresize.  The file is far larger than the amount of memory available to memresize so a temp file on disk must be used.  It is my understanding that the temp file for memresize of dynamic files will be placed in the same directory as the file being resized.  This is in contrast to static files, where the temp file may be placed on another filesystem according to udtconfig TMP setting, etc.

So, if a 20GB dynamic file lives on a filesystem with 10GB of available space, a memresize of that file will fail even if another filesystem has 50GB of available space.

Can anyone confirm that my understanding is correct, or correct my misunderstanding?

Thanks in advance!

Jeff Fitzgerald
Fitzgerald & Long, Inc.