on Thursday, February 05, 2004 12:16 PM Kevin Michaelsen wrote::

>I inserted your suggestion in line 9 This time I include
>my full paragraph and the error message that comes up is a syntax
>error.

[snip]
>009: TOTAL (INDEX(H.CS.ADM.EST.NEED ,'*',1) OR INDEX(H.CS.ADM.EST.NEED
,'Incomplete',1)) \

You are missing the EVAL introducer here.  should be:

TOTAL EVAL "(INDEX(H.CS.ADM.EST.NEED ,'*',1) OR INDEX(H.CS.ADM.EST.NEED
,'Incomplete',1))" \

Though I suspect that wouldn't actually do what you want because the INDEX
function returns an offset, not just 1 or zero.  You'll have to make the
EVAL statement more complex with some IF statements.

>At 02:50 PM 2/5/2004 -0500, Stu Glancy wrote:

>>It's hard to help without seeing your error msgs.  The [1] means the
>>last byte of FIELD.NAME.  If any byte could contain "*" then perhaps
>>(INDEX(FIELD.NAME,'*',1) OR INDEX(FIELD.NAME,'Incomplete',1)) would
>>work.  This should work in UNIQUERY.  I tried in on UniVerse and it
>>works and should work on UniData.

Substring extraction with the [[n],m] notation works in UniVerse I-Types,
but DOESN'T work in UniData virtual fields.  You have to use a function
(SUBSTRINGS()?).

Cheers,

Ken