Hi Herve,

sorry I took so long to reply, I needed time to write the test programs.

It seems that your reading of the UV code is only partially correct
(assuming I got my tests right).

I have attached my test code for you to look at. Tests 3 and 5 did not work
as I expected.
(if anyone on the list would like a copy of the code and it doesn't arrive
on the list, email me and I will ask Clif to put the code on his website).

Specifically:

   TEST3: calling a subroutine does seem to reset SYSTEM(1017).

and

    TEST5: setting SYSTEM(1017) in a called subroutine does not affect the
calling program.

Run
    TEST1017 1
    TEST1017 2
    TEST1017 3
    TEST1017 4
    TEST1017 5
    TEST1017 6
    TEST1017 7
    TEST1017 8

to see my test results.

I tested in an account with the following RELLEVEL

0001: X
0002: 10.0.11
0003: REALITY
0004: REALITY.FORMAT
0005: 10.0.11

running on AIX 4.3.3.

Test results were:

TEST TEST1
Tests if ASSIGN 1 TO SYSTEM(1017) is reset with each read/write operation.
TEST1 OK
TEST TEST2
Tests if ASSIGN 1 TO SYSTEM(1017) is reset by open/close.
TEST2 OK
TEST TEST3
Tests if ASSIGN 1 TO SYSTEM(1017) can be altered by a subroutine call which
does
 not ASSIGN SYSTEM(1017)
TEST 3 Failed step 2 data converted when SYSTEM(1017) set.
TEST TEST4
Tests if ASSIGN 1 TO SYSTEM(1017) can be altered by a subroutine call which
rese
ts SYSTEM(1017)
TEST4 OK
TEST TEST5
Tests if ASSIGN 1 TO SYSTEM(1017) can be altered by a subroutine call which
sets
 SYSTEM(1017)
TEST 5 Failed step 2 data converted when SYSTEM(1017) set.
TEST TEST6
Tests if ASSIGN 1 TO SYSTEM(1017) can be altered by a subroutine which uses
the
EXECUTE instruction
TEST6 OK
TEST TEST7
Tests if SYSTEM(1017) is reset at start of EXECUTE instruction.
TEST7 OK
TEST TEST8
Tests if ASSIGN 1 TO SYSTEM(1017) alters behaviour in called subroutines.
TEST8 OK

regards,

Craig