From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of Dan Fitzgerald
Sent: Wednesday, 11 February 2004 7:42 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: 2 gig limits

The limit is an old one from Unix having 32-bit addressing. On a system
with
32-bit addressing, the limit applied to all files, including backup
images
(at least to disk - I'm not certain about on tape drives, although I'd
assume so). Now, we have 64-bit addressing, so the upper limit is in the

pentabyte range. UniVerse and Unidata still have a default configuration

parameter of 32-bit addressing. This parameter is easily changed to 64.

Currently, the cost associated with going to 64-bit addressing for
UniVerse
& Unidata is the loss of a particular tool which is useful in repairing
file
corruption, filepeek. File corruption is pretty rare, but not unheard
of,
especially as hardware fails. By going to a scheme like RAID0+1 with
transaction logging, you probably won't miss (watch the thread this
starts...) filepeek. As an aside, reducing the amount of data in
overflow
reduces the risk of corruption, by minimizing the number of links, which
are
failure points.

So you can enable U2 64-bit addressing in the (udt/uv)config file, which

will then make the limit a historical curiosity. Or you can use dynamic
files (although at the most - with a lot of luck - this gives you 4Gb),
or
in UniVerse you can use distributed files, which imho are a better
choice
anyway, making the size of a file limited only by your disk drive
budget.

"Our greatest duty in this life is to help others. And please, if you
can't
help them, could you at least not hurt them?" - H.H. the Dalai Lama

"When buying & selling are controlled by legislation, the first thing to
be
bought & sold are the legislators" - P.J. O'Rourke

Dan Fitzgerald

>From: Jason Theis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To: 'U2 Users Discussion List' <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Subject: RE: 2 gig limits
>Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 12:40:15 -0700
>

>We are looking to move to Universe.  Does a 2 gig limit apply to
Universe