I am attempting to write a record to a type 25 file and apparently
getting a fatal error. The platform is UV 9.5.1.1b Pick flavor on W2K
SP4. I have constructed the WRITE statement to include all possible (I
think) branching, yet the program goes to the command prompt when the
WRITE is executed without following any of the branches. The WRITE
statement is as follows:

WRITE IP.REC ON IP,IPADDRESSID ON ERROR
     CRT "WRITE TOOK ON ERROR BRANCH"
     CRT "STATUS: ":STATUS()
END LOCKED
     CRT "WRITE TOOK LOCKED BRANCH"
     CRT "STATUS: ":STATUS()
END THEN
     CRT "WRITE TOOK THEN BRANCH"
     CRT "STATUS: ":STATUS()
END ELSE
     CRT "WRITE TOOK ELSE BRANCH"
     CRT "STATUS: ":STATUS()
END

I am stepping through the program in the debugger, and have verified
that the file IP is open, the record id IPADDRESSID is valid, the record
data IP.REC is valid, and the record does not already exist in the
destination file. The program has done a BSCAN on the destination file
prior to the write to verify the record does not already exist or
conflict with the record to be written. This BSCAN has completed
successfully, leaving a group lock. The WRITE statement then dumps me to
the TCL prompt without taking any of the above branches. It almost seems
to me to be an OS level write error somehow not being trapped by
Universe. It only occurs on this particular data value which leads me to
believe that it is failing on a particular disk location.

I gratefully await the group's wisdom.

Jimi DeRouen
Systems Analyst
[EMAIL PROTECTED]