Hmmm. It's a very curious situation. Your data doesn't appear to be anything out of the ordinary (though it's neat about your munging).

Have you tried using the blook utility to scan through the btree file to see if anything is out of the ordinary? From the OS level, just issue blook without any parameters to get its syntax and options:

Usage: blook [options] file
       +a address     display nodes from addr to end
       -a address     display node at addr
       -d             display record keys and data
       -k             display record keys
       -i keylist     display item "key" only
       -n             disable auto pagination
       -r             traverse descending (default ascending)
       -s             generate statistics
       -v             verify file integrity: no details
       -V             verify file integrity: detailed report

       Environment variable interaction:
              LINES to control display depth
              COLS  to control display width

You might want to direct the output to a file then peruse it with your fav editor. I wrote this utility when I was implementing the secondary index files. Maybe you might be able to figure out what the heck is causing your troubles, pay close attention to see if maybe your inserted data might fall at the boundary of a node and a split is aborting. Let me know if you need any help in making heads or tails of anything.