John;

There are a couple of tools for file repair that I miss from D3. The good
thing is I don't have to worry about it much :-).

1. Yes, I at least hope you wrote a program to do that all for you.
Generally, I copy the file at the OS level (after making sure no one will
access it etc). I then try to resize the file. It will often times clean up
this kind of stuff. It pretty much just copies the items out and back in.
There is also a File Fixing document on the U2 TechSupport Survival CD. It
provides a lot of techniques for fixing file corruption.

2. If the file is damaged in certain ways I've had these fail. Yes, it's
very annoying.

3. RECORD filename ID will list everything in the group that the ID hashes
to. I've only found dumpgroup to give the items in a group - so if you don't
have a key that hashes to that group you're in for the hunt-and-peck method.
Perhaps the fileview utility would help here - I haven't had the time to go
work with it much.

4. The file fixing documentation on the Tech Survival CD has some good
advice. I don't know if any of the UD courses go into the file structure.

hth
--
Colin Alfke
Calgary, Alberta Canada

"Just because something isn't broken doesn't mean that you can't fix it"

Stu Pickles

[snip]