we have set up universe 10  in SQL Server 2K as a linked database via
UniOLEDB.

we have a test file set up that consists of 2 single valued fields & 2 multi
valued fields

at the universe command prompt we can access both the table and the virtual
table for the multi values :
SELECT * FROM TEST.TAB ;
@ID    S1  S2    M1 M2
AAA   A   B     C    D
                          G   H
BBB     I     J     K   L
                         M     N
                         O      P

SELECT * FROM TEST.TAB_MV ;
@ID    M1 M2  @ASSOC_ROW
AAA   C    D     1
            G   H     2
BBB    K   L      1
            M    N    2
            O     P    3

in SQL Server the following works just fine - we get the expected 2 row
table with the columns @ID , S1 & S2 :
    SELECT * FROM OPENQUERY( [UVCON] , 'SELECT * FROM TEST.TAB')

however any attempt to access the sub table :
    SELECT * FROM OPENQUERY( [UVCON] , 'SELECT * FROM TEST.TAB_MV')
pretty much causes the pc to come grinding to a halt - cpu usage goes to
100%, connection activity stops and we have to restart SQL Server to abort
the select.
I have not been able to locate any type of error info either in uv or on the
pc.

I tried double quoting the table name assuming this was a problem with the _
character  - no effect
In the linked database properties I set a query timeout of 30 seconds and a
connection timeout of 30 seconds but I have let this query run for 10
minutes without getting any timeout errors.

any ideas ?

does universe keep any type of log for oleDB access - i can't find one to
see if the request is even getting to universe.

gerry