In a message dated 3/23/2004 2:05:41 AM Eastern Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
writes:

> I would like to store records from small static parameter files that are accessed
> frequently in a memory resident hash table in the common area. What would it take to
> achieve this in UV BASIC? What would it take for IBM to introduce internal hashtable
> type variables (such as those found in some C++
> class libraries) in UV.

Yes you can effectively.
Write one Phantom routine that selects these files, one by one and loops through every
record just reading it then moving on.  This will "smoothly" keep the records in
memory even if your actual user-accessing of them is chunky.
   And yes you can create your own internal hashtable.  Just DIM an array to the
modulo you want and then apply the standard routine to determine which cell your id
goes to and put it there or get it from there.
Will "smooth not chunky" Johnson