As promised, here is the summary of responses
that I received from my query about computerized
maintenance management packages.  The original
query follows the summary.  (I received a couple of
replies regarding IT-related work order systems...
what we are looking for is a package for our
physical plant department to deal with HVAC,
roof maintenance, doors, compressors, etc.  This
was not clear in my original query.)

Dave Rotman

=====================================

FAMIS (www.famis.com)
John Bucher reports that Oberlin is using this Oracle-based
package.  This is a comprehensive (large) package.

Mainsaver (www.mainsaver.com)
Mike Kiec has used this package at Day-Glo and
Plasticolors and was pleased with the package.

Maintenance Supervisor (www.micromain.com)
Roche TerBlanche reports that Trevecca Nazarene
University is using this package.

Mapcon (www.mapcon.com)
Jim Yeatrakas from Trident Technical College speaks
very highly of this package, citing large financial savings
achieved by using this package.  Jim has experience
with some other CMMS's and prefers the Mapcon package.
Mapcon is based on a nested-relational database, and
is economically priced.  Jim has used Mapcon at Gates
Rubber and the United States Antarctica Program.

WebTMA (www.webtma.com)
Donna Trivison reports that Ursuline College recently went
through a product selection process and has chosen
WebTMA.  The selection was based partly on the use
of SQLServer as the primary database.

=====================================

The original query:
>We are exploring possible vendors for a computerized maintenance
>management system (CMMS).  Typical features of these packages
>include scheduling preventive maintenance, generation of work
>hours, allocating time worked, estimating deferred maintenance
>requirements, etc.  There are dozens of vendors of these
>packages.  (We already have an online work-order system,
>but we need to be able to provide better support for
>project estimation and tracking...plus handle global-picture
>items such as long-term cost of a particular building.)
>
>Do any of you have any recommendations for this kind of
>a package?

Dave Rotman
Director of Computer Services
Cedarville University