From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Behalf Of Robert Colquhoun
Sent: Thursday, April 29, 2004 1:23 AM
To: U2 Users Discussion List
Subject: RE: Timestamp

Hi Ken,

At 07:56 PM 28/04/2004, Ken Wallis wrote:
>Of course one could easily write a FUNCTION that concatenated DATE() and
>TIME() and used named common to keep track of the last value it gave out to
>decide if it needed to add an alpha character and if so, which one, but
that

What about SYSTEM(12) instead of TIME() ?

>would only be unique inside the user's session, not system wide.  If you
>wanted something that was unique system wide, you might need to go slightly
>further than one alpha character and you'd need to involve writing
something
>away to a file (or at least locking something) to get coordination between
>sessions, and there'd be an overhead associated with that of course.

Would be much better to have a record in a control file that is regularly
incremented.

ie in pseudo code:
         READU COUNTER FROM CONTROL, COUNTERNAME;
         COUNTER +=1;
         WRITE COUNTER TO CONTROL,COUNTERNAME
         ...use COUNTER as you unique id

>It would also be quite trivial to knock up a CALLC function that obtained
>the value returned by the time() C runtime function which gives the number
>of seconds since somewhere in 1970.  Computationally that would be the most
>efficient, but again, it wouldn't be unique system wide.

You should have "Use CALLC to solve your problem" in your sig to save
typing it every day.

;-)

- Robert